During the month of July, we hope to educate and empower professionals with knowledge and resources about Diastasis Recti so they can feel confident in supporting their unique communities.
What do we (and our clients) wish professionals knew about Diastasis Recti?
The Tummy Team acknowledges there is a gap in the knowledge base of most medical, rehab, fitness and birth professionals related to diastasis recti and we want to be a part of fixing that. As trained professionals, we are simply not getting up to date, clinically relevant and applicable education in our training. Most of the education still being offered in physical therapy school is outdated and unhelpful. Midwives and doctors share that they have had almost no education whatsoever on this condition. Fitness instructors have never heard of it and are continuing to push clients to do core damaging exercises with the best intentions.
- Diastasis Recti is not just a cosmetic issue.
- Diastasis Recti is not an unavoidable consequence of pregnancy.
- Diastasis Recti is not a hernia.
- Diastasis Recti does not require surgical repair.
- Diastasis Recti is not fixed with a series of abdominal or back stabilization exercises.
- Diastasis Recti is a midline separation of the abdominal wall due to the stretching of connective tissue.
- Diastasis Recti always indicates a bigger issue of functional core weakness and leads to compensation patterns that affect overall health and well being.
- Diastasis Recit is completely treatable (even in severe cases) with specialized functional core rehabilitation techniques.
The reality is that most professionals simply do not know much about diastasis and have not been trained to treat it effectively. As a result, clients are being undiagnosed, misdiagnosed and untreated.
But there is hope!
The Tummy Team specializes in diastasis recti treatment with an up to date, clinically relevant approach and has designed extensive continuing education courses and resources to train professionals world wide. Kelly Dean, MPT and founder of The Tummy Team, experienced this gap in educational knowledge first hand as a client and as a physical therapist. Her journey to heal herself and impact her community has led to her international online physical therapy clinic that serves men, women and children struggling with diastasis. Kelly has expanded The Tummy Team resources to serve medical, rehab, fitness and birth professionals as well.
If you do not know how to treat diastasis recti, you are not alone! Check out this video blog with Kelly Dean, to learn more about how we do professional training at The Tummy Team.
Our desire is to improve the clinical treatment of functional core weakness and diastasis recti around the world. The Tummy Team has developed a unique, comprehensive and effective approach to treating core weakness, and we want to partner with you so your practice and your clients can benefit from our resources and expertise. Explore our professional training information here.
For more professional resources about Diastasis Recti and Functional Core Weakness, sign up for our newsletter in the bottom right hand corner of this page.